Saturday, May 30, 2009

Unwind

How do you unwind??

Should we listen to our expert John gray.. He sayz
To feel better Martians go to their caves to solve problems alone.
To feel better Venusians get together and openly talk about their problems.

So much for stereotyping behaviours. You don't necessarily withdraw into your cave, but may be don't really want to bitch about your workplace either, and a friend or two around helps..

I believe everyone has his/her way of unwinding. Some of us vent it out, here in blogs, some prefer calling up an old friend. There is something or the other one likes to do in order to get out of the tangle of everyday business. Some of it might be pretty funny. I had a friend who used to clean up his room on weekends and the relief on his face after that told it all. He used to be fresh and ready for action after that. There will be enough people who would say a little yoga is the best way to unwind at the end of the day. I would say 3-4kms on the treadmill works wonders.

There are people who need the newspaper. I never understood how lots of crappy news makes them feel better but still, they vouch for it. I have seen people picking up a book before they go to bed. May be its the legacy of those horrible student days..Nothing worked better at putting me to sleep than a book on my syllabus :) But sadly it doesn't work for other books. But still there are people who believe it works calms your hyperactive mind. Actually I think I read somewhere that your dreams are affected by what you read half an hour before you sleep. So better pick up the right books.

Sometimes it is just enough to let your favourite track play and do nothing. In 2006, I was into a gruelling schedule for some project and the only way to unwind was a long walk on the Palm beach road even if it meant starting off at 11pm at night. There have been times when I wonder why I was tinkering with an old gadget, taking the pain to make it work when I could just get another one from the market. Making it work, gives a certain satisfaction and lets me 'unwind' i guess.

For a long time, I wondered why I was collecting e-books that I would probably never read. CCNA guides, to machine gun manuals, if it looked interesting, I had to have it in my collection. Preferred surfing the message boards and forums to chatting. May be that let me unwind. Last year for almost 3months, i was hooked to watcing an episode of FRIENDS as soon as I returned from office.

Considering the 40+ temperatures here, going out during days is completely out of question. A friend here keeps pushing to go to the malls. Guess that's what unwinds him. Yesterday what we did was spend about 3hrs making ourselves a fancy lunch!!! Now who does that when you can order and get all you want delivered in 30mins. But then it was not about making lunch, it was unwinding. Instead of being glued to our laptops we spend those hours lecturing each other on all kind of weird topics.

I guess, it is all about getting your mind away from the usual and do something creative, something that keeps you busy, something that simply soothes those frayed neurons..

By the way, this whole thing reminds me, I lost the race to book this URL (http://unw.ind.in/) and Vigu managed to take it. I envy you mate..

6 comments:

  1. So true..

    I too clean my room when really upset and that kinda settles me down.But then I also party a lot,bitch around when upset.Sometimes even that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha..
    cleaning up old mess, even helps me. and i still wonder, how come cleang the trash in my house, cleans the trash in my brains. :)
    well individual ways.
    oh yes... o good shopping heals my pains too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gud one! thats probably the exact reason i started writing and the name i won in the race just sums it up... i am unwinding :) cheers! you dint get the name, but sure did steal all the words that i wanted to put as a post! :D heheheh have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Illeen - Partying sure helps..add a little beer to it and you have the ultimate unwinder.. :D

    @Anonymous - :) Shopping!!A very costly way to unwind.

    @V - Hey..you can borrow this post ;)
    Put it up as guest post :D u seem to be unwinding elsewhere..no post since days on ur blog :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Sarba - shopping need'nt mean spending s huge buck all da time. it depends on what u shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well i knw its a quite old post...but still sumthng struck me... i was doing ths for da past few days.. so thght of mentioning .
    @times wn i was feeling low, i thought of persons i always admire and thr words which has always boosted me.... i felt fresh.. lively.
    may be ths s another way ... nothng bad in tryng.

    ReplyDelete