Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pringle chips and Wi-Fi

It has been a long time since I did a DIY project. But yesterday when a friend mentioned that a pringle box can act as a pretty good Wi-fi catcher. The poor chap had spent a thousand bucks to get an external (usb) wi-fi booster, but that did not seem to help in his hotel appt. Finding me there, he made it a point to remind me that I was afterall an engineer and should take a look at his problem.


Well, there is nothing I remember of those 4 years of engg. forget about building wi-fi antennas. But I did spend some time yesterday to find out how easy (difficult) it was. My friend seemed to suggest that I just wire the empty can and connect to his external adapter...

Here is the exact method of building it, from the person who is credited to have tried it out in the first place
http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html

It's not that simple afterall.. Well if I had enough time then...sigh!!!

4 comments:

  1. so u didn't do it after all..lol

    but pretty interesting.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Illeen
    :D last time i tried my hand at receivers was in '95. Tried making one out of a bi-cycle rim to leech on my neighbours dish tv signals..

    Well top on my list of DIY is a book call backyard ballistics :) I only got this book 10yrs late.. chk out http://backyard-ballistics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

    ReplyDelete