Monday, July 27, 2009

Chicken or Fish??

That's an easy one for most of us.. But here is how the story goes..

"What do you like? Chicken or Fish.."

"Chicken.."

"Hmm..What if I told you, I like chicken.."

"It is still Chicken.."

She walked out of the room after the interview, but the question haunted her for quite some time. She was never sure if that was the reason she was not selected by that company. The scene described here is one that many of us go through at least once..yes that dreaded Campus placement season. I heard this story some time back but it has been clinging to my mind ever since.

Has this formal education and a client facing role blunted my expressions. Have I become more agreeable without realizing. I am having a feeling this is a side-effect of being in a client facing role in a service industry.

Actually there are very little in this world that is in Black and White. Then of course there is diplomacy. I was just wondering what the interviewer was trying to find out.. Is the prospect adaptable? or was he trying to find out if the prospect holds on to his/her opinions? What could have been the right answer?

Beat around the bush,"Fish is actually the best source of white meat...even I should be moving more towards it..."

Or, "Excellent choice Sir, have you tried out the fish dishes at The Fish Parade.. it's a great place.."

Or, "Sir, It's a matter of choice and how one has grown up"

You never know..

No comments:

Post a Comment