Saturday, June 20, 2009

there is so much to learn!!

the sequence started from an innocuous footer on the tweet of a frnd..
while i use twitterFox for tweeting which adds something like "about 1hour ago from TwitterFox" below each post, this frnd has a footer which said "x hours ago from ubiquity"

Curiosity got the better of me and and googled ubiquity..and I have been hooked on to it since then. The link in the previous line was inserted using ubiquity (i just had to type link (space) ubiquity).. Quite frankly it's the coolest thing I have come across in years..

I just googled and left it at that.. some time latter, I was struggling with managing my iTunes library. Having wasted almost an hour in trying to find out an easy way to search album art and adding ID3 tags to my Hindi songs collection, I finally got to move by lazy butt and take things into my own hands...

I wanted to create a mashup which will let me search discrete pieces of data (album art, singer, album info et all) from multiple web-sites and present it in a single page for me. And so i returned to ubiquity. A better choice would have been yahoo! pipes but i returned to ubiquity because i was unsure of the workings of both.

One led to the other and I kept stumbling upon tools like mediamonkey and mp3tag, interesting concepts like Web of trust and tiddlywiki , . And right now i realized that it's already 3AM. Long time since something stimulated my grey cells to keep me awake past my normal timings.

Last time I was so excited was after my post on the Tiger and goats game. In the course of all that I had sent feelers to a lot of people. Meanwhile I was also hooked on to "the art of war" and had shared a documentary from the History channel. A concept that came out clearly was that a strategy of territory domination was clearly superior to that of a static rule based game like Chess. It clearly mentioned that lessons from Chinese game of Go could have saved the Vietnam war for the American generals.

Anyway the efforts to develop a web version continued till Rajen manged to find a version of the game as well as that of Go and passed it on to me. I should have updated my old post but this is as good a time as any to share it with you. (Uploaded it for you, here since i don't know the original sources..1.17mb)

A great day by all means.. it seems to me that there are some days which become exceptionally fruitful and leave you with a sense of awe. There is so much out there, so much to learn, experiment, try out and enjoy... it's just that we keep falling into the rut of our daily routing and professional lives..

Just to boost my ego...here is a link to my post what I defined as PASSION .. the transcript (sans the magic of the voice) of which runs like this..
Precisely that incessable curiosity, that irrepressible desire to know, no matter what the subject, no matter what the cost…

... live each day as if it were your last... learn as if you will live for ever.

This is what I am passionate about.. It is precisely this, it is this inextinguishable undaunted appetite for learning and experience no matter how visible no matter how esoteric no matter how seditious it might seem.
cheers.. i m happy today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment